Thursday, June 16, 2011

Joe Mauer set to play Friday



FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Joe Mauer's return for the Minnesota lineup has become set for Friday.

Mauer completed his minor-league rehabilitation assignment by going through teammate Joe Nathan in the live batting apply session in Florida on Wednesday. He has not played for that Twins considering that April twelve, plagued by weakness and soreness in his legs and throwing shoulder.

Supervisor Ron Gardenhire mentioned previous to Wednesday's sport towards the Chicago White Sox in Minnesota that Mauer will travel on Thursday and start at catcher on Friday versus the San Diego Padres.
It had been quite a bit extended than I had hoped," Mauer said right after his exercise. "But I received my perform in, and I labored using a large amount of terrific folks down here. It absolutely was wonderful, but clearly I want to become up there in Minnesota and be up there taking part in. I sense like I'm prepared to get from here."

Mauer has played in only nine games this 12 months due to his injuries, hitting just .235 with four RBIs from the first season of an eight-year, $184 million contract extension. He had arthroscopic knee surgical treatment in December and said final month that his entire body wasn't ready once the year started.

Nathan stated Mauer looked sharp.

"I threw him some really superior breaking balls," Nathan stated. "It's definitely just outstanding to check out the pitches he can consider when he is down 1-2 inside count. I threw him a few sliders. He put a good swing on them. It really is nice to discover him discover his swing once more and start to feel very good yet again."

Nathan pitched to Mauer and Twins prospect Miguel Sano on the team's spring education headquarters. Nathan has been to the disabled listing considering that May perhaps 23 with soreness in his suitable forearm, a situation related to his recovery from Tommy John medical procedures last yr. He struggled at the starting on the year by using a 7.63 ERA in 17 appearances, a not shocking slow start presented that he missed all of final year together with the elbow damage.

"I took a while off to interrupt up some scar tissue," Nathan claimed. "Ever given that that, it's been evening and day with how the ball has become coming out of my hand. The ball felt like it was coming out of my hand quite a bit better than what I've been employed to. I believe I am starting up to finish my pitches a lot better. I am viewing much more lifestyle to the ball now."

No comments:

Post a Comment